For What Remains is a skirmish-level wargame set in a post-apocalyptic near future. The game is designed for 2 player competitive play or solitaire play.
There are two ways to play For What Remains: skirmishes and campaigns. Skirmishes are standalone games played for a single victory, with no lasting repercussions. Campaigns are a series of skirmishes linked together to form a larger narrative.
For What Remains is a scenario driven game. Each scenario typically has multiple objectives, and combat between factions is usually secondary. Players win skirmishes by gaining victory points through accomplishing these objectives.
The game board in For What Remains is built from modular tiles which are themed to represent different environments. The default game board is a destroyed urban setting. Players build the game board with nine modular tiles, each of which are divided into a 7×7 grid. Characters use the grids for movement.
Each character in For What Remains is represented by a counter and has a corresponding character card and tokens. During campaign play, characters improve their attributes and develop new abilities as they progress from Recruit to Veteran and then Elite level. A chit pull system is used for unit activation, and a step-loss system is used for tracking injuries during skirmishes.
Players control characters from one of the game’s six factions. The Combine and Freemen Coalition are part of the core game; the other four factions can be integrated seamlessly.
- Freemen Coalition: The Freemen Coalition is a loose-knit band of human rebels who specialize in guerrilla warfare.
- Combine: The Combine is the military arm of the government that rules over much of what is left of the world.
- Echo: Echo is a faction led by a secretive cabal of humans with psychic powers.
- Erthen: Erthen are a biologically developed race formed from a mixture of human, mineral, and organic matter.
- Order of the New Dawn: The Order of the New Dawn are creatures from the strange subterranean realm known as the Basement.
- Soldiers of Light: The Soldiers of Light are humans who believe the fall of mankind was brought about due to a dependence on technology.
Suggested Ages: 14 and up
Estimated Release Date: