Legends of Hellas (designed by Pierre Knockaert) is a cooperative game in which players act as heroes trying to defeat mythological monsters. Unlike many other cooperative games, players cannot see each other’s cards. On top, they are not allowed to communicate with each other to provide hints about the cards they hold. Over the course of 1 to 12 missions, between 1 and 5 players will fight a series of terrifying monsters. Each mission requires the player(s) to defeat 7 monsters without running out of cards; their fate is in your hands!
On their turn, a player must select and perform one of the following 5 actions:
- Fight – Play one of your action cards face-up next to the monster card on which your hero disc is located.
- Move – Whenever you move your hero disc from one monster card to another, you must discard 1 action card from your hand.
- Recover – Draw action cards from the draw pile, so that you hold up to 5 action cards in your hand. No matter how many cards you draw, you must then discard a card from your hand, face-down.
- Support – Give one or more cards from your hand to a fellow player. The receiving player must then discard at least 1 card from their hand to the discard pile, face-down.
- Consult the Oracle – Draw the top 6 action cards from the deck and place them face-up on the table. Choose and discard one of those cards. Then return the remaining 5 cards to the top of the deck in any order of your choosing.
A mission is won when the last Chimera is defeated. However, if a player ever holds no action cards in their hand AND has to draw from the depleted draw pile, the mission is lost. On the other hand, if the draw pile is depleted but the players can still take turns with the cards in their hands, the mission June still be won.